Friday, December 28, 2012

Project 2: An Electrifying Project

My first crack at replacing the old electrical outlets in my home.  A little nerve-racking, but I completed this task with overwhelming success (aka - I managed to NOT get electrocuted)  ;)

I managed this with the help of this youtube video for dummies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfZAE1VQPEY

Before (old crappy painted-over outlet)


Step 1: Assemble your tools
- in my case, screwdrivers, plyers, box of new standard outlets, and my nexus 10 tablet (for viewing youtube video)

Step 2:  De-electrify
- make sure the correct breaker is turned OFF.

Step 3:  Remove old outlet
-remove wall plate and old outlet from the wall.  Gently pull outlet away from the wall to expose the wiring.   Detach the old outlet from the wiring.

Step 4:  Attach new outlet
- attach the wiring (including ground wire) to the new outlet.  Use the new screws to attach to the box.

Step 5: Replace wall plate.
TA - DA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment